Monday, May 30, 2011

Illusions

Illusions is a tale of Donald Shimoda and Richard Bach. They meet on one day, both flying biplanes across the country, giving people rides for a living. But Donald is different; he’s a messiah. The thing is, he never wanted to be. So, possibly out of boredom, Donald starts teaching Richard how to be a messiah himself. They keep on flying from town to town, Donald teaching Richard more and more about himself, others, and the world they live in. In all honestly, the plot of this story is more of a way of organizing Richard’s ideas about philosophy so my efforts here are limited. But the lessons in this book are likely to stay with me for the rest of my life.

1) At times, Richard had trouble believing what Donald was doing and saying; at one point, Donald walks through a wall. If someone was doing things like this, do you think you would be able to believe it?

2) One of Donald’s lessons was that “The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy.” Do you think this lesson is true?

3 comments:

Nathan S. 7-8 said...

1) So much of modern religion is based off of faith; I think that if someone was able to back up their claims with actual actions, I would pay closer attention to them.

Nathan S. 7-8 said...

2) I believe there is a lot of truth to this quote. Many people believe that they are constantly being dealt the wrong hand and cannot escape that. While that may be true for many people in the US, I wouldn't be suprised if this wasn't true for anyone here in Mentor.

Josie D 7/8 said...

1. If someone was running around walking through walls, I admit I would be a bit suspicious. Certainly, modern magicians do know how to make it look like they're going through a wall, so I would not neccessarily believe them right away.