Sunday, May 29, 2011

"The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells

Time. Everybody knows of it but how much do we know? Some say their are four dimensions; length, width, depth and time. If we can manipulate length, width and depth, then why not time? This first person story views the life of a journalist who is a witness to time travel. This character meets a man known a The Time Traveler. The Time Traveler tells the narrator of his breakthrough and of his occurrences in the future. To many, the future is not how we think it would be according to Wells. Many of the other people in the book do not believe the Traveler, but the narrator hears in his voice that he is not lying and eventually witnesses this. Wells is trying to show that there is no such thing as a utopia through this book, no matter how much we long for one.
1. If you could time travel where would it be to?
2. Do you think time travel is possible?

6 comments:

Tyler W 1-2 said...

I would travel to the start of the universe to see how it was started.

Tyler W 1-2 said...

I think that it is not possible. And if it is it would be very dangerous.

Jacob C. 1-2 said...

1. Well technically, a time machine only moves in time, not in space. So say I went back to the year 1600; I would end up in Mentor in the year 1600. So I would have to travel by horse or wagon or something to whatever location I wanted to which would take days, weeks, or even months. Not to mention disease was rampant back then, and food would be hard to come by.

2. There are some physicists who claim that if you managed to create a gravitational field that was extremely strong, you would be able to actually slow down time, or even stop it. If we were to make a machine able to do that however, we could only travel back to the exact time and place where the machine was constructed. We would not be able to travel beyond that point in time.

Garret Edward Patrick Graehling 1/2 said...

It's not possible to go backwards but forwards. And if I could I'd go to 1980

Madi Y 7-8 said...

2. At this time, I don't think time travel is possible. But in the near future I do think that scientists will figure a way to make time travel more possible.

Josie D 7/8 said...

2. I do not think time travel is possible right now. If it were, I think we'd see someone running around with a confused look on their face taking notes on the 'culture' of our time.